Air Canada Cancellation Policy
Air Canada Cancellation Policy is rather simple to follow. Canceling a flight can be challenging, time-consuming, and expensive if you are unaware of this fact. Suppose you have a flight booked with Air Canada and wish to cancel it. In that case, this guide will give you all the information you need to understand the cancellation policy and know which policies apply to your specific situation.
After reading this guide, you’ll know how Air Canada Cancellation Policy works and how choosing the most convenient options can help you save time and money.
Air Canada Refund Policy
If I need to cancel my reservation with Air Canada, can I get a full refund?
If any of the following apply, you are allowed to cancel your flight and obtain a full refund on the portion of your ticket that was not used, per Air Canada’s cancellation policy:
- Your flight will not take off as planned, according to Air Canada.
- You bought a non-Basic flight ticket on or before July 5, 2022, for travel between March 1, 2020, and July 5, 2023. The total price of your ticket will then be converted into either an Air Canada Travel Voucher or a 65% increase in the amount of Aeroplan points.
- To cancel a flight, you have 24 hours from the time of booking.
- You have a ticket allowing complete flexibility (Latitude, Flexible Premium Economy, Flexible Business).
- You were denied boarding the aircraft even though you had a reservation.
- Your flight will be delayed by at least three hours.
- You can’t make it to your connecting connection since your flight has been rescheduled.
If you cannot travel due to extraordinary circumstances, such as a terminal illness, the passing of a fellow traveler or a close family member, military orders, etc. (subject to documentary evidence and Air Canada agreeing to it).
In any other situation, you will be charged by the conditions and specifics of your fare.
How to Cancel Your Air Canada Reservation?
Air Canada has three distinct methods for canceling flight reservations: online, over the phone (+1-866-399-0587), and in a ticket office.
To change or cancel an Air Canada reservation online:
- Visit the Air Canada website, which is located at AirCanada.com.
- Select the “My reservations” tab.
- Please input the following data to restore your flight reservations:
- Your booking reference number or ticket number
- Use the Find button to find something.
- Select which flight you want to be canceled.
- Click the “Cancel Booking” option.
- Confirm and finalize your reservation cancellation.
Along with a refund voucher for the money left over after the cancellation charge (if there is one) has been deducted, you will also get a confirmation email at the email address you gave Air Canada when you purchased your ticket.
Only the following situations will result in the cancellation of an online reservation:
You have placed your reservation on Air Canada’s website or through their mobile app.
At least two hours before your flight’s scheduled departure, you are canceling.
You are leaving a reservation in exchange for an Aeroplan reward.
You are rescinding your reservation entirely (individual segments within an itinerary cannot be canceled).
Detailed information on how to contact Air Canada
The important phone numbers for Air Canada are listed below.
Use the toll-free number (888) 502-1481 or 1-866-529-2079, which is open 24/7, to cancel an Air Canada flight in the US.
Use the toll-free number (888) 502-1481 or 1 800 296-3408, open 24 hours a day, to cancel an Air Canada flight in Canada.
Refund for a postponed flight with Air Canada
How to submit a refund request using Air Canada’s online platform
Following are the instructions for requesting a refund if you’ve already used the ticket:
Fill out the online Air Canada Ticket Refund Application Form.
If you have not yet traveled, you must submit your request for a refund through the store where you made your initial purchase.
You have the opportunity to cancel your reservation online if you make it through Air Canada’s official website. If your fare is completely refundable, the procedure of receiving your money back will start right away when you cancel your ticket.
If you booked a flight directly through an Air Canada agent or wish to cancel a reservation for which an upgrade has already been confirmed, you must contact Air Canada directly.
If you decide to cancel your reservation, you must contact the travel agency, website, or another airline you bought your Air Canada ticket to get a refund.
Below listed pointers should be taken care of:
- In addition, by Air Canada Cancellation Policy, the following is necessary:
- Your ticket must be canceled at least two hours before departure.
- You have until June 12, 2021, to lodge a refund request if your flight was canceled before April 13, 2021. Your remaining ticket value will be converted into an Air Canada Travel Voucher or Aeroplan points with a bonus of 65 percent if you submit your request after this date.
- The time it takes to get a refund for a canceled flight might range from one to three months.
- Any refund is deducted from the original manner of payment.
- You will not be able to submit a claim for a refund in this situation if your insurance company has already paid you for a canceled flight.
- Some taxes are not refundable, even though the vast majority of taxes are.
- If you weren’t provided the entire amount of the return to which you were entitled, you must fill out this form to receive a refund.
- Air Canada can only refund a non-refundable ticket if the cancellation was due to an error. You must select one of the other available travel options if the reason for the cancellation was out of the airline’s control. You must carry out the following if the alternative option offered to you is not a good fit for you:
- You have the choice of converting the remaining balance on your ticket to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which is perpetual and redeemable several times.
- The remaining cost of your ticket can alternatively be converted into Aeroplan points for a bonus of 65% miles (minus any relevant taxes).
Expenses Covered by Air Canada Flights
If your flight is considerably delayed or canceled, or if you were refused boarding despite having a confirmed reservation, you might be entitled to compensation under the terms of Air Canada’s compensation policy for flight cancellations. To qualify for compensation, the following prerequisites must be satisfied:
In case of flight delays or cancellations, compensation
You have the right to compensation from Air Canada if your flight is canceled or delayed and you arrive at your destination more than three hours later than anticipated, provided that the situation was under the airline’s control and that you weren’t informed of the cancellation or delay at least 15 days before the scheduled departure time.
The following compensation will be offered for cancellations and lateness:
- 400 USD or CAD is charged for delays of up to six hours in arrival.
- The fee is 700 USD or CAD for arrival delays extending six to nine hours.
- If an arrival delay of at least nine hours, a USD 1,000 or CAD fee will be charged.
- If you decide not to accept the offered alternate travel arrangements, you are entitled to a USD 400 reimbursement or CAD.
In the event of Boarding Refusal, Restitution
Suppose you have rejected boarding due to an issue under the airline’s control and were given the option of taking a different flight that caused you to be delayed. In that case, you have the right to file a claim for refused boarding compensation up to the following amounts.
- If the delay was between 0 and 6 hours, 900 USD or CAD.
- You will be charged USD/CAD 1800 if your delay is between 6 and 9 hours.
- You would be charged USD/CAD 2,400 if your delay lasted at least nine hours.
What requirements must I meet to be eligible if my flight is canceled or delayed?
You will be provided food and other comforts, such as the following if your flight is delayed or canceled due to events outside of Air Canada’s control.
- Food and drink in proportionate amounts
- Electronic channels of communication, such as free Wi-Fi
- Appropriate hotel accommodations close to the airport
- Transportation back and forth from the airport to the hotel
We will only offer these amenities under the following conditions:
You learned of the delay less than 12 hours before your flight was supposed to depart.
You have now waited at least two hours past the planned departure time.
The cancellation period is twenty-four hours with Air Canada.
No matter the ticket you’ve booked, you have the right to cancel your airline reservation within 24 hours of purchase and receive a full refund under Air Canada’s 24-hour cancellation policy.
Please Note: Unless you have a refundable ticket, you will be charged if you cancel your ticket more than 24 hours after buying it.
Air Canada’s cancellations regarding the COVID-19
Under the additional restrictions that have been introduced in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, you have the choice to cancel your flight and obtain a full refund on the unused portion of any ticket purchased on or before April 30, 2021, for travel that must be finished by April 30, 2022.
Medical Illness Cancellation Policy for Air Canada
You have the right to ask for and receive a ticket refund if a medical issue keeps you from taking your flight. You can cancel your reservation and receive a full refund if an unexpected illness or medical condition prevents you from boarding your plane. The rules may stipulate that you provide written proof of your illness.
The Air Canada Cancellation Policy due to the Weather
Reservations for delayed flights due to inclement weather are permitted to be canceled. You are allowed to cancel your reservation and will receive a full refund of the ticket price if your flight is canceled due to bad Weather. If your flight is canceled, you can choose an alternate flight that will be offered to you by the airline at no additional cost or cancel your reservation and ask for a refund (if it suits you).
You can cancel your flight and get a full refund if you miss the connecting flight, if your flight is rescheduled due to bad weather, if you miss it, or if the airline’s alternate travel options are no longer useful for your travel needs.
Refund and Cancellation Procedures for Tickets Bought in Basic Economy with Air Canada
A Basic Economy ticket purchased through Air Canada can only be canceled if the request is made within the first 24 hours of the flight. On the other hand, you might be allowed to cancel your ticket and request a refund if your flight is suddenly delayed by three hours or more, you unexpectedly receive a military order, or you become unwell and cannot go.
Cancellation Policy for Non-Refundable Tickets at Air Canada
There is no possibility of receiving a full refund for non-refundable tickets, including Standard Economy, Flex, and Comfort tickets and non-flexible Premium Economy and Business Class tickets. You will be charged a fee equal to USD 200 for each ticket you cancel if it is one of these tickets. You will have the option to redeem any unused portion of your ticket for a journey that departs within a year of the date the ticket was first issued to you after your reservation is canceled.
Air Canada’s ticket refund and cancellation policies
Tickets sold in the Latitude, Premium Economy Flexible, and Business Flexible categories are all eligible for a full refund. However, you will need to cancel your ticket before your trip’s departure. Within seven business days of your cancellation, your refund will be processed and applied to the original mode of payment. You should see it reflected on your statement within the following two billing cycles.
Air Canada’s cancellation policy is “Tickets Already Awarded.”
If an award ticket is canceled more than 24 hours after being purchased, there is a USD 125 online cancellation fee through Aeroplan.com and a USD 150 cancellation fee through an Aeroplan contact center.
However, Aeroplan Diamond members must pay USD 30 for online cancellations and USD 100 for cancellations made through the Aeroplan contact center
What is the Air Canada cancellation policy for international flights?
Travel that starts or ends outside Canada is subject to Air Canada’s cancellation policy for international flights. If any of the following apply, you may cancel your flight and obtain a full refund by the rules:
- Your flight has been canceled to a foreign location.
- Within the first twenty-four hours of booking, you’ve canceled your flight.
- Due to events within the carrier’s control, your international flight was delayed for more than three hours.
- You will miss your connection because your flight has been rescheduled at such a bad hour.
- You experience a serious illness and cannot travel to the airport in time.
If the airline is prepared to make an exception, any unusual event that prevents you from making your flight, including passing a fellow passenger, military orders, etc.
What are the terms of Air Canada’s cancellation insurance?
By acquiring cancellation insurance coverage from Air Canada, you are guarded against the expenses of flight cancellation that you might have to incur due to an illness, injury, or any other unforeseen circumstance that prevents you from making your journey.
Only those types of occurrences are covered under Air Canada’s insurance policy for flight cancellations and delays; it does not provide coverage for travel-related medical costs.
How much does Air Canada charge to cancel a reservation?
You can cancel your reservation using a flexible rate without paying additional penalties. Still, it would help if you did so at least two hours before your scheduled departure time. If you have a fare that is not refundable, you will need to pay a cancellation fee of USD 200. For award tickets, the cancellation fee ranges from 0 to 150 USD, depending on your current tier level.
Remember that there are no cancellation fees to pay if you cancel a ticket during the first twenty-four hours of buying it.
How can I cancel my reservation with Air Canada without getting penalized?
You won’t be charged any costs if you cancel your reservation with Air Canada within the first twenty-four hours of your flight.
This holds for all ticket types, even those that cannot be refunded.
Would I be able to get my money back if I have to reschedule my flight?
You have the right to a full refund if you cancel your order within the first twenty-four hours of placing it, regardless of the type of ticket you bought. In all other cases, the terms and conditions of your ticket’s fare shall apply.
- Air Canada Refund and Cancellation Policy
- Flexible refund policy due to winter storm – Air Canada
- Air Canada, Long Delay and Flight Cancellation Notice
More on Air Canada
Buy airline tickets, find cheap airfare, last-minute deals, and seat sales with Air Canada. Book hotels, cars and vacations with Air Canada Vacations.
What to Do If You Miss Your Air Canada Flight When you Miss Air Canada flight will possibly be too awkward, likely extremely confounding, and will probably discourage your trip in any case. But, I will help you with recovering your missed flight inconveniences and get your trip. in the groove again. What you need…
Need to Change flight with Air Canada? you can easily change your flight, but you will need to pay a change fee, which depends on the type of ticket and the destination you choose. Air Canada Flight Change Policy Air Canada does not allo
You may cancel your purchase of tickets up to 24 hours after purchase and Air Canada will provide you with a full refund without penalty. Before canceling your reservation, there are a few things you should know about the Air Canada cancellation policy. If your ticket is refundable, then only you will be able to…
Today Air Canada is the largest and domestic and international airline in Canada, serving 210 airports on six contents, and is among the 20 largest airlines in the world. To enjoy luxurious things while traveling to your destination, you can go for an Air Canada reservation. You can book Air Canada flights either through the…