Air Canada Cancellation Policy
Air Canada Cancellation Policy is rather simple to follow. Canceling a flight can be challenging, time-consuming, and expensive if you are unaware of this fact. Suppose you have a flight booked with Air Canada and wish to cancel it. In that case, this guide will give you all the information you need to understand the cancellation policy and know which policies apply to your specific situation.
After reading this guide, you’ll know how Air Canada Cancellation Policy works and how choosing the most convenient options can help you save time and money.
The following guidelines are stated by the Air Canada flight pass cancellation policy which needs to be kept in mind if thinking about the cancellation of a booked flight.
- Every ticket on Air Canada is eligible to cancel. Yet the ticket must be bought directly from the airline and not from any third party.
- Tickets bought through a third party must reach out to the respective agent or party.
- The flights that are operated under the airline are qualified for cancellation.
- The last moment one can cancel is 2 hours from the scheduled time of departure.
- The Non-refundable tickets are not eligible for refunds.
- In case the airline cancels the flight, the refund on non-refundable tickets will be credited in the form of vouchers or travel credits.
- As stated by the policy, Customers can cancel the reservation within 24 hours of booking without any fee and are eligible for a full refund whichever may be the fare type. Yet there must be a gap of seven days or even more between the booking and the departure of the flight.
- If the booking is made by paying through a credit card, in such case refund will get initiated within 7 – 10 working days. On other hand, it might take up to 20 days – 3 months.
- Air Canada cancellation and refund will get reverted to its original payment source.
- If a flight is canceled under the no-show policy, then the airline attains the liberty to relinquish the entire fund of travel.
- When an airline cancels a flight and the reason behind is under the control of the airline, passengers are eligible to receive a refund in addition to compensation will be added.
- On the other side, if a cancellation is made due to reasons that are not under the control of the airline, one can employ the alternate flight option presented by the airline.
- In case, the alternate flight offered is not suitable for you, one can do any of the following :
- Transfer the balance of travel into a travel voucher that can be wielded in the future. Or restore the balance to the Aeroplan credit feature with a bonus of up to 65%.
Types of Air Canada Tickets
Air Canada offers different types of tickets, including refundable and non-refundable options. Refundable tickets provide more flexibility, allowing you to cancel your flight and receive a full refund, while non-refundable tickets have certain restrictions and fees associated with cancellations.
Cancellation Policy for Refundable Tickets
If you have a refundable ticket with Air Canada, you can cancel your flight at any time before departure and receive a full refund. It is important to note that any additional services or products purchased with your ticket may have separate cancellation policies.
Cancellation Policy for Non-Refundable Tickets
For non-refundable tickets, Air Canada has a specific cancellation policy in place. Depending on the fare type and the time of cancellation, you may be eligible for a partial refund or a credit for future travel. However, it is essential to review the specific terms and conditions associated with your ticket.
How to Cancel an Air Canada Flight
To cancel an Air Canada flight, you can follow these simple steps:
- Visit the Air Canada website or use their mobile app.
- Log in to your account or access your booking using your booking reference and last name.
- Go to the “Manage bookings” section and select the flight you wish to cancel.
- Follow the instructions provided to cancel your flight.
Air Canada Cancellation and Refund Process
After canceling your Air Canada flight, the refund process will depend on the type of ticket you purchased. Refunds for refundable tickets are usually processed automatically, and the amount is credited back to the original payment method. For non-refundable tickets, the refund amount or credit for future travel will be determined based on the fare rules.
Exceptions to the Air Canada Cancellation Policy
Air Canada understands that certain situations may require exceptions to their cancellation policy. They have specific guidelines for cases such as schedule changes, weather disruptions, medical emergencies, bereavement, flight delays, flight diversions, and more. It is advisable to contact Air Canada directly or visit their website for detailed information on these exceptions.
Air Canada’s Schedule Change Policy
In the event of a schedule change by Air Canada, such as a flight cancellation or a significant delay, the airline will usually provide alternative options or a refund. They strive to accommodate passengers to minimize inconvenience caused by schedule changes.
Air Canada’s Weather Disruption Policy
When flights are affected by severe weather conditions, Air Canada has a weather disruption policy in place. This policy outlines the procedures for rescheduling flights, offering accommodation, and providing timely updates to affected passengers.
Air Canada’s Policy for Medical Emergencies
If you or a fellow passenger experience a medical emergency, Air Canada has procedures in place to assist you. Their policy ensures that necessary medical attention is provided promptly, and arrangements are made to address the situation effectively.
Air Canada’s Policy for Bereavement
In the unfortunate event of a bereavement, Air Canada has a compassionate policy in place. They understand the need for flexibility during such difficult times and offer assistance with flight changes or cancellations to accommodate passengers’ needs.
Air Canada’s Policy for Flight Delays and Cancellations
Flight delays and cancellations can be frustrating, but Air Canada has policies in place to minimize inconvenience for affected passengers. They provide options for rebooking, compensation for extended delays, or a refund if the flight is canceled.
Air Canada’s Policy for Flight Diversion
In rare cases when a flight is diverted to an alternate airport, Air Canada ensures that passengers are taken care of. They have procedures in place to assist with onward travel arrangements, accommodations, and any necessary support during the diversion.
Air Canada Refund Policy
If I need to cancel my reservation with Air Canada, can I get a full refund?
If any of the following apply, you are allowed to cancel your flight and obtain a full refund on the portion of your ticket that was not used, per Air Canada’s cancellation policy:
- Your flight will not take off as planned, according to Air Canada.
- You bought a non-Basic flight ticket on or before July 5, 2022, for travel between March 1, 2020, and July 5, 2023. The total price of your ticket will then be converted into either an Air Canada Travel Voucher or a 65% increase in the amount of Aeroplan points.
- To cancel a flight, you have 24 hours from the time of booking.
- You have a ticket allowing complete flexibility (Latitude, Flexible Premium Economy, Flexible Business).
- You were denied boarding the aircraft even though you had a reservation.
- Your flight will be delayed by at least three hours.
- You can’t make it to your connecting connection since your flight has been rescheduled.
If you cannot travel due to extraordinary circumstances, such as a terminal illness, the passing of a fellow traveler or a close family member, military orders, etc. (subject to documentary evidence and Air Canada agreeing to it).
In any other situation, you will be charged by the conditions and specifics of your fare.
Detailed information on how to contact Air Canada
The important phone numbers for Air Canada are listed below.
Use the toll-free number (888) 635-5228 or 1-866-529-2079, which is open 24/7, to cancel an Air Canada flight in the US.
Use the toll-free number (888) 635-5228 or 1 800 296-3408, open 24 hours a day, to cancel an Air Canada flight in Canada.
Refund for a postponed flight with Air Canada
How to submit a refund request using Air Canada’s online platform
Following are the instructions for requesting a refund if you’ve already used the ticket:
Fill out the online Air Canada Ticket Refund Application Form.
If you have not yet traveled, you must submit your request for a refund through the store where you made your initial purchase.
You have the opportunity to cancel your reservation online if you make it through Air Canada’s official website. If your fare is completely refundable, the procedure of receiving your money back will start right away when you cancel your ticket.
If you booked a flight directly through an Air Canada agent or wish to cancel a reservation for which an upgrade has already been confirmed, you must contact Air Canada directly.
If you decide to cancel your reservation, you must contact the travel agency, website, or another airline you bought your Air Canada ticket to get a refund.
Below listed pointers should be taken care of:
- In addition, by Air Canada Cancellation Policy, the following is necessary:
- Your ticket must be canceled at least two hours before departure.
- You have until June 12, 2021, to lodge a refund request if your flight was canceled before April 13, 2021. Your remaining ticket value will be converted into an Air Canada Travel Voucher or Aeroplan points with a bonus of 65 percent if you submit your request after this date.
- The time it takes to get a refund for a canceled flight might range from one to three months.
- Any refund is deducted from the original manner of payment.
- You will not be able to submit a claim for a refund in this situation if your insurance company has already paid you for a canceled flight.
- Some taxes are not refundable, even though the vast majority of taxes are.
- If you weren’t provided the entire amount of the return to which you were entitled, you must fill out this form to receive a refund.
- Air Canada can only refund a non-refundable ticket if the cancellation was due to an error. You must select one of the other available travel options if the reason for the cancellation was out of the airline’s control. You must carry out the following if the alternative option offered to you is not a good fit for you:
- You have the choice of converting the remaining balance on your ticket to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which is perpetual and redeemable several times.
- The remaining cost of your ticket can alternatively be converted into Aeroplan points for a bonus of 65% miles (minus any relevant taxes).
Expenses Covered by Air Canada Flights
If your flight is considerably delayed or canceled, or if you were refused boarding despite having a confirmed reservation, you might be entitled to compensation under the terms of Air Canada’s compensation policy for flight cancellations. To qualify for compensation, the following prerequisites must be satisfied:
In case of flight delays or cancellations, compensation
You have the right to compensation from Air Canada if your flight is canceled or delayed and you arrive at your destination more than three hours later than anticipated, provided that the situation was under the airline’s control and that you weren’t informed of the cancellation or delay at least 15 days before the scheduled departure time.
The following compensation will be offered for cancellations and lateness:
- 400 USD or CAD is charged for delays of up to six hours in arrival.
- The fee is 700 USD or CAD for arrival delays extending six to nine hours.
- If an arrival delay of at least nine hours, a USD 1,000 or CAD fee will be charged.
- If you decide not to accept the offered alternate travel arrangements, you are entitled to a USD 400 reimbursement or CAD.
In the event of Boarding Refusal, Restitution
Suppose you have rejected boarding due to an issue under the airline’s control and were given the option of taking a different flight that caused you to be delayed. In that case, you have the right to file a claim for refused boarding compensation up to the following amounts.
- If the delay was between 0 and 6 hours, 900 USD or CAD.
- You will be charged USD/CAD 1800 if your delay is between 6 and 9 hours.
- You would be charged USD/CAD 2,400 if your delay lasted at least nine hours.
What requirements must I meet to be eligible if my flight is canceled or delayed?
You will be provided food and other comforts, such as the following if your flight is delayed or canceled due to events outside of Air Canada’s control.
- Food and drink in proportionate amounts
- Electronic channels of communication, such as free Wi-Fi
- Appropriate hotel accommodations close to the airport
- Transportation back and forth from the airport to the hotel
We will only offer these amenities under the following conditions:
You learned of the delay less than 12 hours before your flight was supposed to depart.
You have now waited at least two hours past the planned departure time.
The cancellation period is twenty-four hours with Air Canada.
No matter the ticket you’ve booked, you have the right to cancel your airline reservation within 24 hours of purchase and receive a full refund under Air Canada’s 24-hour cancellation policy.
Please Note: Unless you have a refundable ticket, you will be charged if you cancel your ticket more than 24 hours after buying it.
Air Canada’s cancellations regarding the COVID-19
Under the additional restrictions that have been introduced in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, you have the choice to cancel your flight and obtain a full refund on the unused portion of any ticket purchased on or before April 30, 2021, for travel that must be finished by April 30, 2022.
Medical Illness Cancellation Policy for Air Canada
You have the right to ask for and receive a ticket refund if a medical issue keeps you from taking your flight. You can cancel your reservation and receive a full refund if an unexpected illness or medical condition prevents you from boarding your plane. The rules may stipulate that you provide written proof of your illness.
The Air Canada Cancellation Policy due to the Weather
Reservations for delayed flights due to inclement weather are permitted to be canceled. You are allowed to cancel your reservation and will receive a full refund of the ticket price if your flight is canceled due to bad Weather. If your flight is canceled, you can choose an alternate flight that will be offered to you by the airline at no additional cost or cancel your reservation and ask for a refund (if it suits you).
You can cancel your flight and get a full refund if you miss the connecting flight, if your flight is rescheduled due to bad weather, if you miss it, or if the airline’s alternate travel options are no longer useful for your travel needs.
What are the terms of Air Canada’s cancellation insurance?
By acquiring cancellation insurance coverage from Air Canada, you are guarded against the expenses of flight cancellation that you might have to incur due to an illness, injury, or any other unforeseen circumstance that prevents you from making your journey.
Only those types of occurrences are covered under Air Canada’s insurance policy for flight cancellations and delays; it does not provide coverage for travel-related medical costs.
How much does Air Canada charge to cancel a reservation?
You can cancel your reservation using a flexible rate without paying additional penalties. Still, it would help if you did so at least two hours before your scheduled departure time. If you have a fare that is not refundable, you will need to pay a cancellation fee of USD 200. For award tickets, the cancellation fee ranges from 0 to 150 USD, depending on your current tier level.
Remember that there are no cancellation fees to pay if you cancel a ticket during the first twenty-four hours of buying it.
How can I cancel my reservation with Air Canada without getting penalized?
You won’t be charged any costs if you cancel your reservation with Air Canada within the first twenty-four hours of your flight.
This holds for all ticket types, even those that cannot be refunded.
Would I be able to get my money back if I have to reschedule my flight?
You have the right to a full refund if you cancel your order within the first twenty-four hours of placing it, regardless of the type of ticket you bought. In all other cases, the terms and conditions of your ticket’s fare shall apply.
- Air Canada Refund and Cancellation Policy
- Flexible refund policy due to winter storm – Air Canada
- Air Canada, Long Delay and Flight Cancellation Notice
More on Air Canada
Buy airline tickets, find cheap airfare, last-minute deals, and seat sales with Air Canada. Book hotels, cars and vacations with Air Canada Vacations.
What to Do If You Miss Your Air Canada Flight When you Miss Air Canada flight will possibly be too awkward, likely extremely confounding, and will probably discourage your trip in any case. But, I will help you with recovering your missed flight inconveniences and get your trip. in the groove again. What you need…
Need to Change flight with Air Canada? you can easily change your flight, but you will need to pay a change fee, which depends on the type of ticket and the destination you choose. Air Canada Flight Change Policy Air Canada does not allo
You may cancel your purchase of tickets up to 24 hours after purchase and Air Canada will provide you with a full refund without penalty. Before canceling your reservation, there are a few things you should know about the Air Canada cancellation policy. If your ticket is refundable, then only you will be able to…
Today Air Canada is the largest and domestic and international airline in Canada, serving 210 airports on six contents, and is among the 20 largest airlines in the world. To enjoy luxurious things while traveling to your destination, you can go for an Air Canada reservation. You can book Air Canada flights either through the…