How to Change a Flight with American Airlines
American Airlines Same day change -when the agent confirms your change onto another flight. In most cases, you no longer have a reservation for your original flight.
American Airlines Standby Policy – when there isn’t availability to confirm a change. Instead, your request is placed in a queue and may be processed if there are empty seats remaining on the flight. Your reservation for the original flight remains intact until this standby clears.
American Airlines Change Flight at the airport (at the self-service kiosk or ticket counter) or call AA Reservations. If you still want to try for a different flight, same-day standby lets you standby for an earlier American or American Eagle flight (with the same routine on your day of departure).
- You will not be charged any change fee for most domestic and short-haul international flights, and some long-haul international flights on certain fares.
- American Airlines allows same-day flight change on domestic flights. For a $75 fee, you can get a confirmed seat on a different flight (known as a confirmed same-day flight change). If a seat is not available, you can opt for standby status instead (unconfirmed same-day flight change). If you are not allocated a seat on a standby flight, the $75 fee is refunded.
- American charges a whopping $200 change or cancellation fee on most paid fares (excluding full-fare refundable tickets) for domestic flights. This climbs as high as $750 per passenger for international flights. Same-day charges start at $75 for domestic and short-haul international flights in economy class.
- You can change your AA flight online and rebook later: including Basic Economy tickets purchased between March 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021.
- You can’t change or cancel a ticket after April 1, 2021 if you bought it under the Basic Economy fare.
- If you think about a same-day flight change, it can cost $75–150, except for Basic Economy.
- If you buy a Basic Economy ticket, you can now purchase extras such as upgrades, priority boarding, seats, and same-day flight changes.
- If you’re an AAdvantage® Elite member, you can now apply your travel benefits on fares that are considered “Basic Economy.”
You can request American Airlines standby or confirmed flight changes online, by phone, at an airport check-in kiosk, or at the ticket counter 24 hours prior to departure.
Those traveling with American Airlines can change their AA reservations, but it incurs a service charge. They can call American Airlines Reservations Number to change their ticket at any time of day at the following numbers:
How do I change my reservation on American Airlines?
Call American Airlines to change your reservation with a representative over the phone. A change fee applies. Your new flight’s scheduled departure must be within one to 12 hours of the time you call.
Call American Airlines helpline number:
Call American Airlines to change your reservation with a representative over the phone.
Talk to a real person and get a human at American Airlines:
- To contact American Airlines, you can dial (888) 217-4364 (US & Canada), or (800) AMERICANAIRLINES 633-3711 for Spanish assistance) if you want to speak with an agent
- If you require assistance with your current reservation-related inquiry, please press 1.
- content: If you would like to make a new reservation, press 2
- Afterward, press 3 to ask for assistance regarding luggage or check-in service for flights.
- Now you can press the 7 to reach an American Airlines representative who can help you directly.
American Airlines Voice Menu
- Say “Flight status”, “Reservations”, “Ticketing” etc.
Chat with the live agents:
Live chat is the quickest way to connect to the support team of American Airlines or how do I talk to a live person at American Airlines.
You can chat with the live agents of this airline to get their help. To opt for this method, you need to go to the official website and then you can write down the query in the chatbox. They will come online as soon as they read your message. This is the quickest method by which you can get the help of live agents. They will be available round the clock for the passengers. you can now call them anytime to get the best aid from them.
Use email service:
American Airlines accepts the emails that you use to send your queries through this platform ingeniously. Email service is the easiest way to connect to the support team of American Airlines using its email ID to send emails to the clients and it can be used when you are unable to reach them via phone call.
Use social media services:
If you want to share your important queries with a live person, you can utilize Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and Facebook and get the appropriate solution at the same platform instantly, and thus, you can get through to American Airlines customer service comfortably.
This is the answer to the question, “How do I get through to American Airlines?” We hope that you have understood the methods of connecting with the live agents.
Can I text American Airlines?
To get help, you can contact us at any time from your mobile phone by sending a text message with the word “HELP” to (447950080989). … You agree to provide American Airlines with a valid mobile number. You agree that we may send you text messages through your wireless provider.
What happens if American Airlines changes my flight?
They say if your departure time changes by 60 minutes or more, or if your itinerary changes from a direct flight to a connecting flight, or if there’s an equipment change, you can change your ticket for no charge.
American Airlines Reservations and ticket changes Phone Numbers
If you’re not traveling in the next 72 hours, please wait until closer to your trip to call. You can also book new travel or make changes to an existing trip on aa.com or the American Airlines app.
AA Same Day Flight Change Fee
- The standard cost for an SDFC “on flights between the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands (USVI), Canada, and the Caribbean” is $75 per direction.
- Long-haul international flights are generally not eligible for a same-day flight change, but there’s one exception. If you’re flying between New York-JFK and London-Heathrow (LHR) — including itineraries with connecting flights inside the U.S. — you can make a SDFC for $150 per direction.
- American Airlines charges a $75 fee for a same-day confirmed change or a standby request. The fee for a confirmed change is waived for Executive Platinum members only, but the fee for a standby request is waived for a much larger group of travelers that includes all elite members and customers with full fare tickets.
Who can get same-day flight change for free?
AA Confirmed, same-day flight change is free for passengers ticketed in first or business class and those booked in full-fare (Y fare) economy. Also, American Airlines Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro elites — plus one companion in the same reservation — also get the option to change for free. Also, American Airlines AirPass ticket holders are eligible for free same-day flight changes.
How the AA 24-hour change window works
Thankfully, the “same day” part of the SDFC program doesn’t mean that you have to wait until the calendar day of your departure to make changes. For example, when I wanted to SDFC a 6 a.m. flight from Jacksonville (JAX) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), I didn’t have to stay up until midnight to change my flight. Instead, I was able to change it the day before departure.
How to change AA award tickets
All AAdvantage award tickets are eligible for complimentary, confirmed, same-day flight changes. That said, unlike on paid tickets, you aren’t looking for “E” fare availability. Instead, there has to be award availability on the new flight for you to get a confirmed flight change.
While the SDFC option will show up online and, in the app, generally you’re going to end up having to call AA to change your flight.
Same-day changes can only be made within 24 hours of the new departure time — not the original departure time. The new flight can be earlier or later than the original flight as long as it’s on the same calendar day.
Also, the routing of the new itinerary must be the same, including the origin and destination airports (no co-terminals allowed in the same city). There must be available in the “E” fare class, which is reserved for same-day changes — find this under “Awards & Upgrades” when using ExpertFlyer. Cross-reference this with availability in the “A” fare class if you’re trying to improve your chances at an upgrade.
There is a $75 charge for standby requests that must be paid in advance, but the fee is refunded if the standby doesn’t clear. Unlike the same-day change, however, my interpretation of the rules is that customers with elite status may be re-routed to a different co-terminal in the same city.
Your new flight must:
- Depart on the same day, from and to the same airports, as your original flight
- Have the same number of stops, in the same airports, as your original flight
- Be marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
- Also, please keep in mind that:
Anyone can standby for an earlier flight, but only elite status members can standby for a later flight on the same day Same-day confirmed changes and standby are subject to availability on select flights
How to request an AA same-day change or standby
Beginning 24 hours before departure, go to your trips online or in the app, or stop by an airport kiosk or ticket counter to request a change and pay the fee, if applicable. *
After you check in, you’ll receive a new boarding pass and receipt.
*Customers traveling on a Basic Economy fare can’t make changes at a kiosk and should find their trip on the American app, aa.com, or visit a ticket counter to request a change.
American Airlines Same Day Flight Change rules
Let’s start with the basic rules of AA’s policy. True to the “same day” part of the name, your new flight(s) must depart the same calendar day as your original flight(s). For example, if you’ve booked the first flight Tuesday morning, you’re only going to be able to change to a later flight on Tuesday. You can’t fly out Monday night instead through a same-day flight change.
Also, the change must be made within 24 hours of the new flight. That means you won’t be able to change your flight until the day before or the day of. This can make it tough if you’re trying to make plans for your departure or arrival. Also, you can’t switch to any flight with an open seat. Instead, there needs to be specific availability on the new flight to make the change.
How to change or cancel your American Airlines flight
Changing and canceling your flight is so easy your grandmother can do it (but after reading this, you can be nice and offer to do it for her). Here are the step-by-step instructions.
Step 1: Head to the American Airlines website and log in or click the “Your trips/Check-in” tab at the top of the landing page. You don’t have to log into your account to see your upcoming flight — you just need your name and record locator. If you do log in, your upcoming travel will automatically appear under the “Your trips” tab.
Step 2: Simply click choose the trip from the list of upcoming flights and select “View/Change.” Then you’ll be given a rundown of your itinerary and other pertinent details, and you’ll see two links at the top of the page:
- Change trip
- Cancel trip
Step 3: Click the appropriate link and American Airlines will take you by the hand to help you change or cancel your flight. You’ll get an email outlining your changes.
You can also make a same-day change to your flight for $75 (waived for Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro status members). The same day you’re flying, you’ll find this other “same day” option when going into the View/Change tab. Same-day standby is available for free.
It’s also worth noting that you might find that you can’t access your particular flight. This could be because you’ve booked your flight through a partner airline, or perhaps an online travel agency. Remember, you may well have to contact the original airline or agency to modify your tickets.
American Airlines Allergy Policy
American Airlines does not serve peanuts in-flight but does serve other nuts, which may contain traces of peanut
- Allergy Policy: American Airlines does not serve peanuts in-flight, but does serve other nuts, which may contain traces of peanut. The airline can not guarantee that a flight will be peanut-free, will not grant requests for a particular flight to be peanut-free, won’t provide a peanut-free “buffer zone” for allergic customers, and won’t allow pre-boarding for seat and tray table wipe-downs.
- Be aware that American Airlines roasts nuts in the first-class cabin while the plane is in flight.
- Special Meals: American Airlines offers gluten-free, diabetic and vegan (dairy-free) meals for some flights, which must be booked in advance.
American Airlines Upgrade Policy
Upgrades are always complimentary for Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro members. For Platinum and Gold members, upgrades on flights 500 miles or less are complimentary and flights greater than 500 miles require 500-mile upgrades. If possible, upgrades will be confirmed before departure based on elite status.
How do I use 500-mile upgrades?
American Airlines AAdvantage elite members can upgrade eligible purchased premium economy or main cabin tickets to the next service class (business or first class) on flights greater than 500 miles within North America (flights less than 500 miles receive complimentary upgrades). To request a 500-mile upgrade, log in to your AAdvantage account and find your trip to check if it is complimentary, auto-requested or if you need to manually request it. Each 500-mile upgrade is valid for a segment of your flight.
Can you use 500-mile upgrades without status?
No, only current American Airlines AAdvantage elite members can use 500-mile upgrades for flights. If you previously had status with American Airlines and have some remaining 500-mile upgrades in your account, you will need to regain elite status before you can use the upgrades. Those who do not have status with American Airlines can upgrade their flights only when they are traveling as companions of elite members.
American Airlines $75 standby / confirmed same-day flight change fee is waived for the following passengers:
- Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
- Customers who purchase Business or First-Class tickets
- Active U.S. Military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
- Active U.S. Military dependents traveling on orders
- American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum, or AAdvantage Gold members
- Oneworld® Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
- Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or Oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent-flier status or fare type
- AAirpass members
- First and Business Class MileSAAver Awards
- First, Business and Economy Class Anytime Awards
- Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare
- American Airlines customers have 24 hours after purchasing their ticket to cancel it for a full refund, provided they booked the ticket at least two days before departure.
- If the ticket was bought directly from American Airlines, request a refund online or contact American Airlines’ reservations desk, and the refund should be credited within a week. If it was purchased through a third party, customers have to call the third party to get refund details.
- Flights booked through American Airlines’ reservations service are considered nonrefundable, so customers can get a full refund on these tickets only within 24 hours of purchase. Otherwise, the only situations that entitle a nonrefundable ticket purchaser to a refund are:
- A schedule change that results in a change of 61 minutes or more
- Death of a passenger or passenger’s traveling companion
- Military orders
- However, non-refundable ticket values can be applied toward future flights as long as:
- The new trip begins within one year of the original ticket’s issue date
- The customer canceled the original ticket before the first flight departed
How do I rebook your American Airlines canceled Flight?
When you’re ready to rebook your trip, you’ll need either:
- Your 6-character confirmation (also called a ‘Record Locator’)
- Your ticket numbers
If you don’t know your Record Locator, you can find it in the confirmation email you received when you booked your trip.
American tickets have a 13-digit number that begins with ‘001’. Keep in mind there are separate ticket numbers for add-ons like seats, upgrades, and bags.
The ticket number can be found on your:
- Cancellation email
- Confirmation email from when you bought your ticket – look in the ‘Receipt’ section
- Credit card statement – the reference number is next to the amount charged
- Receipt from Airport / City Ticket Office – at the bottom in the middle of the ticket
1. Go to aa.com and choose ‘Manage trips / Check-in’
Choose ‘View canceled trips’ and enter your trip details.
2. Find your trip
You’ll see your Flight Credit details on the ‘Your trip’ page.
3. Rebook and add Flight Credit
Go to aa.com and find your new flight. On the payment screen, choose ‘Add Flight Credit.’
Enter the ticket number from your canceled trip and apply for the credit.
You may use a credit card to pay any remaining balance.
5. Contact Reservations
If you need more help with rebooking, please call American Airlines Booking.
Can you change your flight after you check in at American Airlines?
You can’t change your reservation online once you’ve checked in. Contact Reservations for assistance. If you’re unable to make your flights, contact Reservations prior to your flight’s departure to retain the value of your ticket. Charges or penalties may apply for changes, depending on the fare paid for the ticket.
How to know if your American Airlines ticket is nonrefundable
- Viewing fine print on your original booking confirmation email.
- Calling American Airlines reservations.
- Logging into your American Airlines account to see your booking details.
American Airlines Cancellation Policy Overview: American Airlines Cancellation Policy: When you book a reservation on American Airlines, you are entitled to a refund if your fare permits cancellations without penalty. If you cancel a reservation and you are not eligible for a refund, you can use the price of your ticket toward a new reservation…
American Airlines (AA) Missed Flight Policy The rule isn’t publicly documented and it can be hard for passengers to take advantage of it, but we do know a bit about how airlines handle missed flights. American Airlines has an internal, unpublished Late Arrival Standby Policy that says that passengers who arrive at the airport within…
Did you misspell the name when making the American Airlines Reservation? Whenever a passenger has misspelled his/her name on the American Airlines ticket, it can be corrected according to the AA name correction policy. If a passenger has booked a flight with American Airlines and has misspelled the name, it can easily be corrected. To make…
AUSTIN, Texas — On Thursday, American Airlines announced 14 new flights from Austin’s airport, including 10 new domestic and four new international destinations. American Airlines Reservations of 10 new domestic nonstops As customers continue to return to the skies, American Airlines will add three-times daily service to El Paso, Texas (ELP); twice-daily service to Cincinnati (CVG); Indianapolis (IND);…
American Airlines calls its rules the conditions of carriage. In general, when your flight is canceled or a delay will cause you to miss your connection, American will rebook you on the next flight with available seats. If you decide not to fly because your flight was delayed or canceled, American will refund the remaining…
Rules for American Airlines flight check-in You can make American Airlines Check-in online or using the mobile app starting 24 hours before and up to 45 minutes before departure of the first flight in your itinerary. This applies even if you have a connecting flight that’s more than a day away. Note that online and…
American Airlines Manage My Booking: Managing flight reservations can seem like a difficult task but it isn’t as many airlines provide their reservation management tool on their websites. However, when it comes to the largest airlines in the world i.e. American Airlines then managing bookings can become a lot easier. The Forth Worth-based airlines have…
How Do I Change my American Airlines flight date due to any specific reason? You can change your flight date online if your booking is eligible for a change. American Airlines offer simple options to change flight dates, including online, and you can easily use it. American Airlines Change Flight Date Policy Before you change…
Basic Info Airline: American Airlines Alliance: Oneworld Category: Legacy domestic and international airline Frequent Flyer Program: AAdvantage Tagline: “The World’s Greatest Flyers Fly American” and “Going for Great” About/Mission Statement: “American Airlines and American Eagle are dedicated to providing you with safe, dependable, friendly air transportation. They also provide numerous related services. Their goal is…
It is possible to transfer an American Airlines ticket yourself. If you are planning on making changes or rebooking your AA flight, it is important that you understand how to do this in order to avoid extra fees and make the most of your travel experience. Most passengers are allowed to transfer their tickets from…
In case you have canceled your flight booking on American Airlines and wonder how do I rebook a canceled flight American Airlines, don’t worry about it. As you can do that by going to the airline’s website. Aside from this, before rebooking a flight, you need to know some information and to help you with…
American Airline Ticket Hold Policies & Fees American Airlines allows you to hold a reservation within a 7-day period. However, there are two important factors to take into consideration regarding the time frame of your hold. First of all, they’re only offered on certain flights and you won’t know if the flight you want to…
Change Seat on American Airlines: Policy & Fee There are a few points to Change Seat on American Airlines will depend on two different criteria. 1) The class of service you purchased2) Your status with American Airlines. If you have no status with the airline: If you have purchased First or Business class tickets, you…
If you want to contact American Airlines Customer Service, you can call them at 800-433-7300 Toll-Free. You will be put in touch with a support representative. In addition, there are several other ways to contact the support team. How do I get a human at American Airlines Customer Service By phone After you…
Número de teléfono de American Airlines para reservas, nuevas reservas de vuelos, cambio de fecha, cancelación
Reservas, cancelaciones y otros números de teléfono de atención al cliente de American Airlines Números de reserva de AA: 1-800-433-7300 AA.com y asistencia para iniciar sesión: 1-800-222-2377 Tarjeta de crédito AA American Airlines: 1-800-733-2654 (para EE. UU., Canadá y Puerto Rico); 1-423-477-6512 (para otros países) AA Rental Cars, Hoteles y Actividades: 1-800-960-7163 Seguimiento de equipaje AA:…