American Airlines Cancellation Policy is straightforward. Here are some key points to consider.
- Ticket cancellations within 24 hours of purchase are eligible for a full refund when booked two days before departure.
- Refundable tickets: may be cancelled online or by contacting reservations for a full refund.
- If you cancel a flight before departure, you can use the unused value of eligible fares toward a future trip if the ticket is non refundable. If the new flight occurs within one year of when the original ticket was issued, it will be refunded.
During the pandemic, American Airlines changed its cancellation policy drastically. Virtually all fees and restrictions were eliminated in an effort to spur bookings. Other than basic economy tickets and some tickets originating outside of North and South America, you won’t need to jump through hoops or lose the value of your tickets.
For example, if you change from a $500 to a $300 nonrefundable ticket, you will receive a $200 travel voucher for use on a future trip.
There is currently a limit of one change per day per trip.
If you purchased your ticket through a travel agent or website, you must contact the agency directly.
There are cancellation fees associated with American Airlines
On non refundable domestic, short-haul international and select long-haul international fares for premium cabins, premium economy and main cabins, American Airlines does not charge cancellation fees.
Flight credit is not available for basic economy fares booked after April 1, 2021, which are nonrefundable and nonchangeable (so you won’t get a credit for cancelling a basic economy booking).
The American Airlines change fee is:
Fees for domestic changes are free
Fees for international changes:
- Fees are up to $750 for eligible flights departing from North and South America. This excludes basic economy fares.
- For international flights originating outside North or South America purchased on or after April 1, 2021, this includes Basic Economy fares.
- Change fees are $75-150 (economy); free (business/first class).
- Members of Gold, Platinum, Platinum Pro, and Executive Platinum are entitled to same-day standby.
- A Platinum Pro or Executive Platinum member can change their flight on the same day for no additional cost.
- A non-refundable ticket can be refunded if you cancel it, but the unused value may be applied to a future trip (no later than a year after the original ticket was issued).
An American Airlines flight can be canceled in the following ways:
In order to cancel an American Airlines flight, you simply log into your American Airlines account at aa.com and click on “Your trips.”:
Choose the trip you’d like to cancel from your list of upcoming trips:
You can cancel your trip by selecting “Cancel trip”:
Confirmed your cancellation.
American Airlines should reinstate your award miles and issue travel vouchers for paid tickets automatically . An email confirmation with your ticket number will be sent to you once you have cancelled your flight.
Be sure to keep this email for reference to rebook your next flight.
American Airlines Flight Cancellation Rules according to Ticket Type
As long as the ticket was purchased at least a week before departure, passengers will be able to experience the flexibility of American Airlines Flight 24-hour cancellation and avoid cancellation charges.
Check out the information listed below to learn more about American Airlines’ cancellation policies.
AA’s cancellation policy is as follows:
In the case of a Basic Economy Ticket
If you cancel your Basic Economy ticket within 24 hours of purchase, American Airlines will not refund you. In certain circumstances, you may be able to cancel your flight and request a refund: if American changes your flight schedule by four hours or more, if you have military orders, or if you or your traveling companion die.
For tickets that can’t be refunded,
American Airlines does not charge cancellation fees on domestic flights, nor does it charge fees on international flights.
Ticket unused value can be applied to a future trip as long as it begins no later than 1 year after the original issue date of the ticket, and you cancel the original ticket prior to departure.
Tickets that are non-refundable may still be refunded if the passenger dies or their traveling companion dies or if military orders are issued. Documentation is necessary.
For tickets that can be refunded,
In the case of refundable tickets, you can cancel anytime before your flight departure, and a refund will be issued to your original credit card within seven days (it should appear on your statement in one to two billing cycles).
In the case of award tickets
American Airlines has eliminated all fees associated with award tickets as of November 11, 2020.
The refund policy of American Airlines
There are no surprises in American Airlines’ refund policy, but it is restrictive.
Tickets purchased directly from American Airlines can be refunded to the original payment method before departure. You can request a refund online. You’ll have to contact the travel agency directly if you purchased your ticket from a travel agent, whether it was a traditional travel agent or an online travel agency like Expedia.
Tickets that are nonrefundable can only be refunded if one of the following applies more than 24 hours after purchase:
- A change in schedule that lasts more than four hours.
- A passenger or traveling companion dies.
- Passenger military orders.
- How to get a refund from American Airlines
- A refund process depends on when you booked your trip with American Airlines and when it was canceled. If you cancel your booking within 24 hours of ordering the ticket and 48 hours before departure, you will receive an automatic refund. Upon booking your ticket through the reservations phone system, the carrier will refund your ticket value minus service charges and nonrefundable taxes.
- To get a refund from American Airlines, you’ll need to follow a few steps. You can call American Airlines reservations; however, to avoid high call volumes, you can also submit a refund request online.
How to Cancel an American Airlines Reservation?
- Apart from the flexible United Airlines reservation policy, a passenger also has the option of cancelling a United Airlines ticket. You can use any of these methods to cancel an American Airlines flight at your convenience. Now, let’s discuss the following ways to cancel a flight ticket:
Cancel a AA flight online
- To cancel an American Airlines ticket online, you need to follow a few steps. You can cancel the ticket by following the steps below:
- Visit the American Airlines website.
- Go to the My Trips tab.
- Submit the passenger’s last name and the booking reference number.
- If you want to cancel a flight segment, select it.
- To complete your request, pay the cancellation fees for American Airlines after selecting the segment.
- As a final step, you will receive an email confirmation.
Cancellation of an American Airlines flight via phone
- An American Airlines executive can assist you with canceling an American Airlines flight ticket if there are unforeseen circumstances. American Airlines offers a 24 hour cancellation policy. You can contact a customer service representative to request a cancellation. They will ask for your ticket number or booking confirmation when you contact them.
- After the necessary details, they will ask you to pay the American Airlines cancellation fee and any other charges over the phone. Later, the agent will cancel your ticket and confirm it in an email.
Flights that are delayed
- You will receive an email or text message if you book a ticket with American Airlines. With the American Airlines app, you can get flight information, status updates, and real-time updates.
- When your flight is delayed more than three hours, the airline will provide you with an alternate flight and a meal voucher.
Missing a connecting flight
The airline will ensure that the passengers reach their final destination if the flight they already have is delayed, or if they assume they have one flight for all routes.
The following are the consequences of missing an American Airlines flight:
- Due to a lack of alternative flights, American Airlines will reroute your flight.
- The airlines will constantly update your connecting flights.
- The issuing agency must be contacted if you wish to modify your reservation if it includes a flight
flight is cancelled
If American Airlines cancels a flight due to unforeseen circumstances, such as bad weather or technical problems, they will notify you.
A passenger can choose from the following options if their flight is cancelled by American Airlines:
- A 7-day travel date modification will not incur an additional charge in this case.
- You should be aware that rerouting may take some time under the 24 hour cancellation policy.
- The unused portion of your booking can be refunded if you don’t want an alternate flight.
Flights that are overbooked
- It is common for airlines to accept more reservations than they can accommodate, since not everyone is able to board the flight.
- This will result in the following:
- You will be transferred to another flight by the airlines.
- You will also be compensated by American Airlines if your flight is delayed or disrupted.