Southwest Airlines Cancellation: If you are willing to cancel a booked flight ticket then you must have to be proactive to go through the Southwest Airlines check-in process helps to change and cancel a flight ticket in no time. It would be good in case you feel like obtaining the policy in order to cancel a flight ticket and want a complete refund as well.
At this, you need to be sure that you have purchased a refundable ticket or complete now with Southwest Airlines cancellation policy and this is why you are going to expect the cancelation process along with the refund at a certain time. As per the Southwest Airlines policy, you should have 24 hours to cancel a flight and it is also mandatory to contact its representative who will guide you to cancel it at the right time.
What to Do If Southwest Cancels Your Flight
Southwest says they will reach out to you if they cancel your flight.
Unfortunately, they did not say when exactly, only “as soon as possible.”
And if you’re caught in the June 2021 mess, it’s doubtful they will be able to reach out to everyone.
Be sure to check your flights and KEEP checking your flights for changes or cancellations.
They are first going to offer to re-book you to a different flight or a later time.
You ARE entitled to a full refund via your original method of payment EVEN if you booked a nonrefundable Wanna Get Away fare IF Southwest cancels the flight (and not you).
You may have to persist to get your refund but keep at it. You ARE entitled to it!
Want to cancel a Southwest flight yourself? Here’s how to do it…
The Southwest change and cancellation policy
Earlier this summer, Southwest went so far as waiving any difference in airfare when changing flights — but that is no longer the case.
However, if the price of a new ticket is less than the old one, you’ll get credit for that. Any extra money left over from a lower airfare will become a travel credit if you purchased one of Southwest’s cheaper Wanna Get Away fares, or you can get the money back if you’re traveling on a higher-priced ticket.
What’s Southwest’s No-Show Policy?
If you don’t cancel your reservation at least 10 minutes before the flight’s original scheduled departure time, the value of Business Select® or Anytime tickets will be refunded in the form of a travel fund. Unfortunately, any Wanna Get Away funds will be forfeited.
Things to keep in Mind about Southwest Airlines Cancellation Policy before you cancel a flight:
- If a passenger requests a refund for flight cancellation, the refund amount would be decided on the basis of the flight fare conditions that will not cover the service fees because it is not refundable.
- For this case, you are willing to make the cancellation under 24 hours for a flight booking made within 7 days of the flight departure. Then as per the Southwest Airlines cancellation policy, you will need to cancel the flight booking through an email request.
- In addition, if the flight cancellation is made within 24 hours of the ticket purchase, then, you will not be obligated to pay any cancellation charges and the flight will be canceled without paying the fee.
- Furthermore, the refund amount of flight cancellation will be credited to your account in the same manner in which the flight booking payment was done.
- For this case, you need to cancel a flight booking consisting of more than 1 ticket, as per the Southwest Airlines cancellation policy, the flight cancellation and flight refund request will be applicable on all of the tickets.
- On making a flight ticket cancellation online, it might possible to pay the Southwest Airlines cancellation charge. For such cases, the passenger will be informed while the ticket purchase.
- Besides, for all refundable flight bookings, if the flight ticket is being canceled within 24 hours, you may get a full refund once the flight cancellation is done, this is all about Southwest Airlines cancellation policy.
Can you cancel Southwest flights within 24 hours?
For non-refundable reservations canceled within 24 hours of booking – If you cancel online at Southwest.com, through the app, or call us within 24 hours of booking, you can receive a refund of any fare (including Wanna Get Away) back to the original form of payment or choose to convert the airfare into Travel Funds
You can change or cancel your flight up until 10 minutes before your scheduled departure time. For example, if you had a flight scheduled to depart at 8 a.m., you’d have until 7:50 a.m. to make changes or cancel the flight. If for some reason you forget to change or cancel, it may result in your travel funds for that flight being forfeited.
For example, if you paid $79 for a one-way Wanna Get Away® ticket and you didn’t make the flight or cancel it, you may forfeit the $79 you paid. If you cancel before the “10 minutes before departure” mark, you will receive $79 as a reusable travel fund for future use. When you make a change extremely close-in (for example, if you were supposed to fly at 8 a.m. but then changed your flight that morning to 10 a.m.), your boarding position will change based on your new time of check-in.
How to Cancel a Flight on Southwest
- After you have logged on to your account, click on My Account in the top right-hand corner.
- In the middle of the next screen, you will see all of your upcoming flights. Choose the flight you want to cancel and click on Cancel Flight.
- Then, you will be able to confirm the flight you are canceling and select how you want your refund. If your ticket was fully refundable, you will have the options of requesting a refund or holding as a travel fund for future use. If the ticket was non-refundable (Wanna Get Away tickets), you will be able to request travel funds for future use.
The price listed to the right is the amount being refunded or converted to travel funds. The ticket in the screenshot below is a Companion Fare, so the only money paid was the $11.20 in taxes and fees ($5.60 each way). If you booked a flight with cash, your full ticket price will show here.
- Click the yellow Cancel Flight button at the bottom of the screen to complete the cancellation.
How do I talk to someone on Southwest Airlines? When is Live Chat Available?
Southwest Airlines Live Chat is available between the hours of 6:00 am to 8:00 pm Central Standard Time. You can also speak to a Southwest Airlines Reservations Customer Representative 24/7 by calling 1-800-435-9792 or (877) 681-0056.
Southwest Airlines Cancellation Policy on Its Different Fares
Listed here are the fundamental guidelines within the cancellation policy based on Southwest Airlines on its different fares.
Wanna Escape Fares
When the passenger has purchased the Wanna Escape via cash and intending to cancel their plan the whole sum will most likely be credited for that Travel Fund account on Southwest Airlines. Additionally, passenger can book their Southwest booking with future credit.
Passengers could use Wanna Escape which enables you to definitely certainly ten mins prior to the scheduled departure within the flight.
In a situation, when the fund we’ve within the account has become a member of time i.e. 12 several days inside the purchase date within the ticket then keep these things through getting to cover a meager fee of $100.
Business Select, Anytime, & Senior Fares
When the passenger of financial select, Anytime or possibly the senior fare made cancellation provides you with one hundred Percent refund within the original type of payment. Whether you’ve acquired it via cash or bank card.
Additionally, when the passenger canceled within under ten minutes before take-off, then the sum you used will finish in the travel funds, you need to use for booking another flight within twelve several days inside the purchase date.
Will I get a refund if I cancel my Southwest flight?
Southwest offers three fare types: Business Select, Anytime, and Wanna Get Away.
Refundable fares: Business Select and Anytime
If you cancel a refundable ticket, you can choose either to a) receive a method-of-payment refund or b) hold the value of the ticket as a travel fund that you can use to buy a future flight. See method-of-payment details.
Non-refundable fare: Wanna Get Away
If you cancel a non-refundable ticket, the value of the ticket becomes a travel fund that you can use to buy a future flight. Learn more about travel funds.
Important: If you don’t cancel your reservation at least 10 minutes before the flight’s original scheduled departure time, the value of Business Select or Anytime tickets will automatically be converted to a travel fund. Unfortunately, any Wanna Get Away funds will be forfeited.
Southwest cancellation policy for flight cancellation due to weather
- As mentioned in the policy, if the flight of the passenger is cancelled because of extreme weather conditions, then in such cases a refund will be provided to the passengers.
- Further, in a few cases the passengers can also claim a refund for the same.
- Also, the airline can also accommodate the passengers on the next available flights without charging any additional fee.
How to cancel your flight and check if you’re eligible for a refund
If you can still see your itinerary on Southwest.com or in the Southwest app
- Go to Southwest.com/cancel or open the Southwest app and select “Look Up Reservation” in the menu. Or, if you booked your trip using your Rapid Rewards account and are logged in, you can look it up in your account.
- Enter in your confirmation number and the Passenger’s name on the reservation.
- You’ll see any available Travel Funds or refundable balances attached to the confirmation number you entered. If you have a refundable value remaining, you can choose to receive a refund to the original form of payment or convert the fare into Travel Funds.
- Tap or click “Cancel Flight” to cancel the flight for all Passengers.
- Refunds to credit cards may take up to two billing cycles to appear on your statement.
- Travel Funds are available for use immediately. If you used your Rapid Rewards number when booking, your Travel Funds will be automatically added to your Southwest account.
Step by Step – How to cancel using a computer or tablet on Southwest.com
- On Southwest.com tap or click Flight in the header and then tap or click Manage Reservations.
- Enter your Confirmation number and the First name and Last name of a Passenger on the southwest reservation on the Retrieve Air Reservation page to pull up your reservation.
- You’ll see your reservation on the Your Reservation Details page. Look for the Cancel link on the line that includes your Confirmation #. Tap or click that link to review the cancellation details.
- If you only have non-refundable funds, you will only see the option to Hold for future use. Click Cancel flight to cancel the reservation for all Passengers.
- If you have any refundable funds, you will see a section called “Refundable”. From there you can either request a refund or hold for future use as a Travel Fund. Click “Cancel flight” to cancel the reservation for all Passengers.
Once you’re finished, you will see a confirmation page. We recommend keeping a record of the
Step by Step – How to cancel using a mobile phone on mobile.Southwest.com or using the Southwest App
On the Southwest app or mobile.Southwest.com, tap the three vertical lines in the upper left-hand side to access the menu. Then tap Lookup reservations.
Enter the Confirmation Number and the First name and Last name of a Passenger on the reservation to pull up your reservation. Tap Retrieve reservation.
You’ll see your reservation on the Southwest Airlines Booking Details page. Tap the Cancel button to review your cancelation details.
If you only have non-refundable funds, you will only see the option to Hold for future use. Click Cancel flight to cancel the reservation for all Passengers.
If you have any refundable funds on the itinerary, you will see a section called “Refundable”. There you will have the option to request a refund or Hold for future use as a travel fund. Click “Cancel Flight” to cancel the reservation for all Passengers.
Once you’re finished, you will see a confirmation page. We recommend keeping a record of the confirmation number.
If your reservation is no longer active or you canceled a refundable fare that was converted into Travel Funds and you would like a refund instead:
- Call southwest at 1-800-435-9792
- Write our Refunds Department:
P.O. Box 36649
Special notes about writing or calling Southwest Airlines
All refund requests submitted in writing to the Refunds Department must include your unused ticket information or proof of purchase and/or the confirmation number.
Customers calling Southwest to request a refund or to research Travel Funds for a specific ticket must provide their confirmation number, ticket number, or flight information (date, origin, and destination).
Additional information about refunds
- Not all fares are refundable. Business Select and Anytime fares are refundable; Wanna Get Away fares are reusable but not refundable.
- Unused, refundable tickets that do not carry restrictions may be applied toward future travel or refunded within one year from the date of issue.
- All eligible refunds are provided according to your original form of payment.
- Our Refunds Department will process an eligible refund to the original credit/debit card within seven business days from the date we receive your request. Your card-issuing bank may then take up to ten business days to post the credit to your account. Based on your individual billing cycle, you will see the refund on your statement within one to two statement mailings.
How to use Travel Funds
On Southwest.com or the Southwest app, you can simply apply your unused Travel Funds on the purchase page much like you would store credit in a retail store. Make note of the travel fund expiration date: all travel must be completed by the expiration date or the funds will be forfeited.
Step by Step – How to apply Travel Funds on Southwest.com on a computer or tablet
Step by Step – How to apply Travel Funds on a mobile phone at mobile.Southwest.com or in the Southwest app
How will I receive a method-of-payment refund?
Method-of-payment refunds will generally be made in the same form as the original payment:
- Credit card: Refunds will be processed to the same account no later than seven business days from the date Southwest receives the request.
- Cash: Refunds will be issued by check no later than 20 business days from the date Southwest receives the request.
- Points: Points will go back to the Rapid Rewards® account used to book the flight.
- Southwest gift card or Southwest LUV Voucher: If the reservation is canceled within 24 hours of booking, please contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792). If the reservation is canceled after 24 hours, the Southwest gift card or Southwest LUV Voucher will be refunded as a travel fund.
- Travel fund: Southwest travel funds from a previous reservation that are applied toward a Business Select or Anytime fare will be refunded as travel funds.
The Bottom Line on Southwest Cancelation
Southwest’s cancellation and change policy far exceed those of other major airlines; however, it is essential to understand the fine print associated with the airline’s various fare levels to truly make the most of it. More often than not, your best bet is to cancel and rebook a flight rather than make changes at the last minute. For fully refundable flights and flights booked with points, the fine print associated with flight changes is a non-issue, but for non-refundable flights (which are typically less expensive), you will get your full ticket value back if you use this approach.
A couple of important caveats to note. Refunds may only be made back to the originally ticketed passenger and will be applied only to the original form of payment. Those flying using a companion pass (a free pass that may be purchased with award miles) must be accompanied by the originally ticketed passenger to board a Southwest flight. So, if the originally ticketed passenger has to cancel a flight, the companion pass will be forfeited.
Right now, Southwest Airlines Flight Change is one of the best flight change policies I have ever seen. Between certain dates, you can change your flight for free AND not have to pay the fare difference! Here are the details. Complete insights into Southwest change flight rules and all the other information related to it Regardless…
Southwest Airlines Name Change/Correction Policy for Domestic & International Tickets: All you need to know
Southwest Airlines Flight change! Name Change! Name Corrections! Policy! fee On any airline, you have twenty-four hours to correct the error charge-free, whether you need to change a single letter or the entire name. For this reason, passengers should always review their confirmations immediately after purchasing. If it’s been more than 24 hours, that’s when…
If you miss a flight that is not because of another Southwest delay you are SOL. Your problem, not theirs. You receive zero priority for later flights and are subject to seat availability and fare difference just as any other passenger wishing to make a flight change. If you are A-List, there are standby options but…