According to United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy, children between the ages of 5 and 17 years can travel unaccompanied after booking the service.
United Unaccompanied Minor policy
The United Unaccompanied minor service is required for children ages 5-14 who are traveling alone or with someone who is not at least 18 years old. This service includes the following requirements:
- Unaccompanied minors can travel on United or United Express non-stop flights only. They can’t use our unaccompanied minor service on codeshare flights and other flights operated by our partner airlines.
- United Airlines does not offer unaccompanied minor service connecting to or from another airline’s flights.
- Children younger than 5 can’t travel as unaccompanied minors, even if they’re flying with an older unaccompanied child.
- Unaccompanied minors are ages 15-17, who are traveling without an adult on United and United Express-operated flights. Young adults can also travel alone.
- The unaccompanied minor service costs $150 per child, each way.
United Airlines unaccompanied minor policies and fees
There is a $150 fee per child, which includes the return trip. That $150 fee is good for every two children using the service.
Unaccompanied minors are children 5 to 14 years old who travel without a parent or guardian 18 or older on the same flight.
Unaccompanied minor service is optional for those who are 15 to 17 years old.
United Airlines is offering a promotion for nonstop travel on certain routes. Only valid for travel on nonstop United or United Express flights.
The unaccompanied minor fee includes an assigned seat, a complimentary food item when available, and preboarding.
You can reserve these flights online by selecting “0” adults and the appropriate child age range.
Number of children One-way fee
1 to 2 $150
3 to 4 $300
5 to 6 $450
Number of children roundtrip flights
1 to 2 $300
3 to 4 $600
5 to 6 $900
If two or more children are traveling together
When two or more children are traveling together, the youngest child’s age determines whether they will need to use United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor service.
- Children younger than 5 years old need to travel with a parent, legal guardian or someone who is at least 18 years of age.
- If the youngest traveler is between 5 and 14, and the oldest is between 15 and 17, then the younger traveler is still an unaccompanied minor.
- If a 15-17 year old opts into the unaccompanied minor service and is traveling with another child, you should make sure to book their trip on the same reservation so that the combined service fee is applied to their flights.
We want everything to go smoothly and for you to have peace of mind, so we’ve outlined each step of your child’s journey. Checklists and tips make it easy. Who said this has to be stressful?
United Unaccompanied Minor Routing rules
Unaccompanied minors may only travel on direct flights operated by United Airlines or United Express. Connecting flights are not allowed, nor are codeshare flights or any other flights operated by different carriers.
Children under the age of 18 will need to present a passport or other internationally recognised photo ID when flying internationally. Otherwise, a photo ID and birth certificate are sufficient for check-in. Parents and guardians will also need to show a valid photo ID when picking up or dropping off the minor.
United Unaccompanied MinorBooking method
United Airlines allows you to book unaccompanied minors online. You can also call 1-800-864-8331, but there is a $25 fee for phone reservations.
You may accompany your child to the gate for domestic flights, but United will assign a uniformed representative to escort your child if it is an international flight.
United Unaccompanied Minor Booking
You can book flight for your kid in a couple ways:
- Visit united.com, Select the advanced search option, and change the number of adults to 0 from the default setting of 1
- Then, select the number of children flying in each age range based on their ages on the day they’ll be traveling:
You can also call the United Customer Contact Center and a United representative will be happy to help you. There is a $25 booking service charge for reservations made through the Contact Center.
Things to know Before travel ad United Unaccompanied Minor
Even if your child has traveled before, or is a seasoned traveler, we recommend using this checklist to help them prepare for their trip.
- Make sure your child knows the phone number of a trusted adult in case they need to call them.
- Discuss with your child what they’ll experience at the airport, like going through security, finding their gate and boarding the plane, so they know what to expect.
- Make sure they know to wait for a United representative to walk them off the plane when they land. Older children might feel like they can find their way through the airport alone, but as part of our unaccompanied minor service, we’ll need to make sure that they arrive safe and sound.
- If your loved ones are bringing any electronic devices, make sure they’re fully charged before you leave for the airport.
- You should pack some books or games to keep your child entertained during the flight. It’s hard to pack a lot of books or games for a flight, but you can bring some small ones for your child.
- Some countries require all international travelers to complete an International Arrivals form before clearing customs and immigration at their destination. This form is handed out by flight attendants during the flight.
- To make it easier for your child to complete this form, visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website to see a sample form. Write down the answers for your child on a small sheet of paper, placing it in their passport. Be sure that your child knows that if they have any questions, a flight attendant or United representative will be happy to help.
Remind your child that the United representatives at the airports and on board the plane are there to help ensure a safe, fun travel experience.
You will want to give yourself at least 30 extra minutes at the airport on the day your child is traveling, in addition to the suggested check-in and airport processing times. Here’s how the process will work:
- Online and mobile check-in isn’t available for children traveling alone. We want to talk with you in person and make sure your child is ready to go. When you arrive at the airport, please go to the check-in counter.
- We will verify the contact information for the adults designated to drop off your child and pick them up, or we’ll add this information to the reservation if it’s not included already.
- What we’ll do for your child:
- United will give your child a wristband to wear and special bag tags so United representatives and flight attendants can clearly identify them as a child traveling on their own.
- Your child will receive a special envelope that they can use to keep their important travel documents safe and handy during their trip. This includes boarding passes, unaccompanied minor forms, their passport, baggage claim tickets, and receipts.
- You’ll get a telephone number to call if you have any questions after your child starts their trip.
Going through security
- Whether or not you’ll be able to go with your child to the departure gate depends on the departure airport.
- Flights departing from the U.S.: When checking in at the counter, you’ll get a gate pass that allows you to go through security and to the gate with your child. When you get to the gate, introduce yourself to the United representative at the desk and tell them that your child will be traveling alone. Then, you can have a seat in the gate area to wait until it’s time
- Flights departing from airports outside the U.S.: A uniformed United representative will meet you and your child at the check-in counter. The representative will help your child through security to the gate.
Even if you are unable to take your child through security, you’ll need to stay at the airport until the flight takes off.
When you need to board early, your child will be among the first to board so that United flight attendants can:
Personally greet your child, Introduce your child to the pilots, if there’s time
Explain the safety features of the aircraft, Take your child to their seat and help with carry-on items
Point out where they can find the lavatories
United Unaccompanied Minor: During the flight
United Flight attendants will check in with your child throughout the flight. They will also be available by call button if your child has any questions during the trip.
In flights that offer food for purchase, your child will receive one free food item. You might also want to pack their favorite snack. Please avoid gel or liquid snacks over 3.4 ounces, as they won’t be able to take them through TSA security.
At the arrival airport
Once your child’s flight has arrived, a United representative will meet them and bring them to meet the designated pick-up person.
For all U.S. domestic flights:
To meet your child at the gate, you can get a pass from the United ticket counter in order to go through security.
If you need a gate pass, ask for one at the United baggage service office. You can get information about your gate using the United app and on united.com/flightstatus.
If you arrive late enough at night that the TSA security checkpoint is closed, you’ll meet your child at the baggage claim assigned to the flight.
For all other international flights:
If your child is traveling on a flight that requires customs or immigration clearance upon arrival, you’ll meet your child in the greeting area on the arrivals level outside baggage claim.
In order for your child to be released to a designated adult, the adult will need to show ID so we can verify their identity. They’ll also need to sign a form that says they’ve accepted custody of your child.
What is the Unaccompanied Minor fee at United Airlines?
The Unaccompanied Minor fee at United Airlines is $150 per way and applies for up to two children.
Does United Airlines allow unaccompanied minors?
Airlines have different policies. United Airlines, for example, allows unaccompanied minors between the ages of 5 and 14 to travel on nonstop flights.
What about United Airlines unaccompanied minor pick up?
The person picking up your child must be a responsible adult who is at least 18 years old and whose full contact details you have provided on the Unaccompanied Minor form.
What is United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor policy for international flights?
Children between ages 5 and 14 can travel alone using the Unaccompanied Minor service under United Airlines’ international flights. However, children cannot use this service on connecting flights, codeshare flights, or partner airline flights.
Age restrictions for Unaccompanied Minors on United Airlines?
Please Check below age restrictions apply for United Airlines Unaccompanied Minors on domestic and international flights:
- Children under 5 years of age are not permitted, unless they are accompanied by an adult who is at least 18 years old.
- Younger children can travel as Unaccompanied Minors, but those between 5 – 14 must book the service.
- Children between the ages of 15 – 17 can travel on United Airlines and United Express flights without an adult.
Is there any flight restrictions apply to Unaccompanied Minors at United Airlines?
The Unaccompanied Minor service provided by United Airlines is only available on nonstop flights operated by United Airlines and United Express. The service is not available for connecting flights, codeshare flights, or partner airline flights..
United Airlines Reservations Phone Numbers: Flight Tickets Booking & Cancellations, Flight Change, etc.
There are times when you miss your flight. Do not worry we have got your back. Just try these tips and get on the earliest United flight. If you are at the airport, just locate the help desk and request them to find your next flight, United will provide you with the boarding pass then…
United Airlines: All About Name Changes or Name Correction Restrictions Did you misspell the name when making the United Airlines booking? Whenever a passenger has misspelled his/her name on the United Airlines ticket, it can be corrected according to the name correction/change policy. If a passenger has booked a flight with United Airlines and has…
How to change or cancel a United flight – Same-Day Change, Standy, Policy & Fee United Airlines Flight Change Policy: United Airlines will allow you to change certain eligible flights but if your fare is not unrestricted you will be forced to pay a fee that will depend on your route. Most flights will not…
The fear of having your flight canceled often plagues the minds of many people who like to travel. Imagine yourself on a beach with its beautiful waves and fresh sea food, but you might be left with an awful feeling when things go south and we are left with only one option which is the…
Does the United Manage Booking assist the traveler with the itinerary they choose? Yes, United Airlines allows its passengers to view their flight details online through this manage reservation helpdesk. When passengers have already booked a United flight, they can easily use the United Airlines manage my booking feature. Follow the simple steps below and make desired…
What does United consider a significant schedule change? Changes to flight departure or arrival times. Changes in frequency of flights. Addition or discontinuation of routes. Changes to type of aircraft. If your plans change and you prefer not to change your itinerary immediately, you may cancel the reservation and return to it to make changes for up to one…
United Airlines FareLock United FareLock is the system that lets you hold your reserved flight and complete your purchase at a later time. You’ll have peace of mind that the price of your flight won’t go up and it won’t sell out while you take your time with your purchase. FareLock is available only through…
According to United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy, children between the ages of 5 and 17 years can travel unaccompanied after booking the service. United Unaccompanied Minor policy The United Unaccompanied minor service is required for children ages 5-14 who are traveling alone or with someone who is not at least 18 years old. This service…
United Airlines Change Flight Date: If you want to change your United ticket at no cost, it must fall within the rules of the same-day confirmation policy and the new flight must depart within 24 hours of your original scheduled departure UNITED ✆ Reservations For wholly rescheduled travel departing after September…
To change your seat with United Airlines, you must locate your trip on their website and enter your confirmation code and last name. Basic Economy ticket holders must pay extra to change their seat, and all other ticket holders will be able to change their seats at no extra cost. All travelers have up until…
United Airlines español: Reservas, cancelaciones y otros números de teléfono de atención al cliente de United Airlines
United Airlines español: Para completar la reservación o para proporcionar su información de pago por teléfono, puede contactar a United Reservations (reservaciones de United) en EE. UU. y Canadá, al 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331). Número de teléfono de soporte de United Airlines : 1-800-864-8331 Productos y servicios unidos: 1-888-854-3899 Asistencia para reservas en EE. UU. y Canadá : 1-800-864-8331 Equipaje dañado, demorado o perdido…