Booking with Spirit Airlines: When searching for flights on sites like Kayak or Expedia and sorting by the lowest price, you’ll likely spot some options from Spirit Airlines. But is flying with the budget carrier worth it?
Spirit operates about 500 flights every day and covers more than 60 destinations within the U.S., Latin America, and the Caribbean. The airline has expanded its offerings to include a Free Spirit Mastercard, a Spirit Savers Club, and Free Spirit points.
How Do I Get in Touch with Spirit Airlines?
There are various ways to connect with Spirit Airlines: Such:
Connect via Phone: just call on the Spirit Airlines Customer Service Phone Number (833) 246-4453 which is also available on the official website of Spirit airlines and direct connection with the travel representative for any issue.
By dialing Spirit Airlines customer service phone number, you can directly talk get through the customer service team for getting immediate assistance and it is possible when you go through the below IVR options:
- Dial Spirit Airlines phone numbers (833) 246-4453 from a phone.
- Press 1, for the booking or reservations.
- Press 2, for the feedback or complaint.
- Press 3, for the baggage or refund.
- Press 9, to speak to a live person at Spirit Airlines.
Connect via Email: Just compose an email and write the issue or complaint and send it to the official website address of Spirit Airlines and get the revert back within 48 working hours with the proper solution. You can simply submit your complaint via email regarding the queries related to Spirit Airlines through the below steps:
- Go to the official Spirit Airlines website from your browser and then click on the Contact Us section.
- Now look for the Complete this form option.
- Now you can select a reason that you need assistance.
- After that, you can simply enter your personal and other details into the given field.
- Now you can enter your queries or complaint into the given box.
- Now click on Submit tab and the team of customer service will immediately get in touch with you.
Connect via Live Chat: This is the very best facility where the passenger can directly connect with travel representatives via chat and solve any type of issue related to Spirit airlines. Spirit Airlines provides the option of online chat that can be obtained to get effective assistance from a live person on all sorts of problems. You can get the live chat from the customer service team through the below steps:
- Go to the official Spirit Airlines website through your browser.
- Scroll down and then click on the Contact us section.
- Click on the Click on Chat Now! Button.
- You can select a query for which you need assistance from the given list.
- After that, you can start chatting with a live representative to obtain assistance.
- You can also ask them to get a callback and then you may also talk to a live person.
Via social media: You can also follow Spirit Airlines over the different social media platforms where live representatives will help you regarding the different queries in a simple way. You can text at 48763 by describing your queries or you can directly contact them through Whatsapp at 1-855-SAVE-555 (855-728-3555). You can get their immediate and relevant assistance anytime as they are 24/7 available.
Spirit Airlines: Book a Flight with Cheap Airfare Options
You can look forward to saving big with huge discounts and deals on Spirit plane tickets with different fare options offered by the airline. Spirit Airlines offers two types of fare options to its customers – Standard Fare and $9 Fare Club.
Spirit Standard Fare: The Standard Fare is basically Spirit Airlines’ bare-bone fare. In fact, the airline takes pride in offering “unbundled” fares and advertises it as a base fare offering at the lowest possible rate. The Standard Fare is also called Bare Fare. The customers purchasing Standard Fare are offered flexibility to add options, which the airline calls Frill Control. The airline’s basic fare offering includes the most standard seat and one (1) personal item. The Standard Fare type however doesn’t include seat recline, refreshments or Wi-Fi, etc. It’s no wonder that the cost of Spirit Airlines tickets is significantly lowered in the absence of extra frills.
Spirit $9 Fare Club: Spirit Airlines offers the $9 Fare Club to its customers, which provides exclusive access to some of the airline’s lowest fares available, along with discounted baggage fees. Additionally, the $9 Fare Club members are also privy to special Spirit flight deals. The cost of the $9 Fare Club membership is $60, which can be renewed for $69.95 annually. The members can also choose not to renew it. Moreover, the discounts offered to $9 Fare Club members are also applicable for up to eight (8) persons on the respective member’s itinerary when reserved under the same booking confirmation number.
Spirit Airlines however doesn’t offer traditional First Class, Business Class, or Premium Economy fares, though extra legroom can always be purchased by paying a fee.
Spirit Airlines reservations can be done through various methods:
- Book the ticket online on the online agents
- Or book online tickets from the official website
- Or just call at the Spirit Airlines Reservations: (833) 844-0969
A person can avail various facilities on the board like online check-in, mobile check-in, etc, the executives are all the time ready to help and guide people. The inside flight crew is also very supportive. There is enough space for luggage as well as better legroom. The food served is of better quality. There are options for a person’s entertainment and power plug-ins for laptops.
There are only two types of seats on Spirit Airlines: standard seats and the Big Front Seat. With a standard ticket, travelers are allowed to bring on one carry-on bag. That bag must be 18″ x 14″ x 8″. When purchasing your seat, it’s best to pay for any checked bags you intend to bring. While you do not have to pay for your checked luggage in advance, it will help save you money if you’ve covered the checked bag cost before arriving at the airport. If you check bags at the check-in counter, the cost goes up.
The Big Front Seat comes with more space and extra legroom — and there are no middle seats, so you’re guaranteed an aisle or window. The same luggage rules (one carry-on free, all checked bags cost extra) apply for Big Front Seat ticket holders.
Spirit Airlines Classes of Service
Coach Class /Economy Class
- Passengers can purchase a variety of refreshments available on board using a debit or credit card.
- The Big Front Seat options can be found towards the front side of the aircraft having a 36-inch pitch. These seats come with a width of 25 inches and an extra 6 inches of additional leg space for that extra comfort.
- The airline offers seamless online booking and web check-in process.
- The staff on board is extremely courteous and takes care of all your requirements.
- Spirit Airline’s Big Front Seat is the Airline’s First-Class Equivalent and can be purchased for a small fee by passengers looking for extra legroom.
- Mileage points on special Free Spirit Mileage Program can also be accrued by the passengers.
What fares does Spirit Airlines offer?
Spirit offers Standard fares and Saver$ Club fares. But you can only get Saver$ Club fares if you purchase a membership, which carries the following costs:
- 12-month membership: $69.95
- 18-month membership: $99.90
- 24-month membership: $129.90
Regardless of which membership option you choose, Spirit will automatically renew your membership as an annual membership for $69.95 each year unless you cancel your membership.
Flight Change and Cancellation Policies
If a passenger makes changes to their flight — or cancels it altogether — 60 days prior to their flight, they will not be charged a change or cancellation fee. If you want to cancel or change your flight between 15 and 59 days before your flight, the fee is $39. Cancellations or changes made seven to 14 days before will be subject to a $59 fee. And finally, changes or cancellations made six days before your flight up to just hours before your flight will incur a $79 fee.
Often travelers assume that boarding on a budget airline is something of a free for. Not so — there’s a method to the madness. Spirit Airlines has four numbered zones, as well as pre-boarding and family boarding. As budget airline boarding processes go, Spirit Airlines has one of the clearest and easiest to follow. Here’s the boarding line-up:
- Any passenger with a disability or who might need special assistance or additional time boarding
- Any passenger who paid for an additional carry-on bag (remember, one is included with the price of your ticket, but bringing more than one personal item costs extra)
- Any passenger who paid for Shortcut Boarding
- Free Spirit passengers with silver or gold status
- Any passenger with a Spirit Airlines credit card
- Reserved for families with small children (typically, kids ages 3 and under)
Zone 3 and Zone 4
- General boarding
Amenities and Entertainment
Spirit Airlines charges for all food and drink. They absolutely offer snacks and beverages, but they are only available for credit or debit card purchases. To give you a sense of the prices, a bottle of water is $3, tea is $2, cans of soda or juice are $3, and coffee is $3. Cocktail combinations (i.e., a nip of gin and a can of tonic water) are $11, and beer and wine are $8.
Spirit Airlines does not have TVs or any sort of in-flight entertainment. However, they do now offer WiFi onboard. It is only available on select aircraft right now. There are no amenity kits, pillows or blankets, outlets, or any accouterments you’d expect from a higher-end airline.
Seats and Legroom
The classic Spirit Airlines seats have 28 inches of seat pitch. To offer a comparison, most airlines’ economy class seats have 30 inches of seat pitch. Spirit Airlines standard seats have tiny tray tables — you wouldn’t be able to fit a laptop on them. However, Spirit’s Big Front Seats guarantees an additional six inches of legroom. The Big Front Seats come with 36 inches of pitch, and the width of the superior leather seats is 18.5 inches.
Can I select a seat? You can pay to select a seat when flying Spirit.
The cost to choose a seat depends on the route, seat type when you purchase the seat, and seat location. Regular seats cost $1 to $50, while Big Front Seats cost $12 to $150 when purchased in advance and $25 to $175 when purchased onboard.
I recently booked a Spirit flight from Orlando to Louisville. About two weeks before departure, seat costs were as follows:
- Big Front Seats: $52
- Exit row: $28
- Near the front of the aircraft: $25
- In the middle of the plane: $19
- At the rear of the plane: $13
I decided to book without selecting a seat. After all, Spirit’s website says:
“If you don’t select a seat, we’ll assign random seats at check-in for free, but we can’t guarantee that you will get to sit with your friends or family.”
I checked the cost to select seats a few hours before my flight. When I did so, I could still choose a Big Front Seat for $52, an exit-row seat for $28, or a seat near the front of the aircraft for $25.
I still didn’t pay to select any of these seats at check-in and got a message noting Spirit would assign my seat at the gate. I lucked into a window seat at the front of the aircraft, but Spirit could have given me a less desirable seat. Pay to select a seat if you must sit with traveling companions or have a strong preference for a window or aisle.
Where does Spirit Airlines fly?
The top routes that Spirit Airlines flies are:
- LAS to FLL (about 270 flights/month)
- BOS to FLL (about 240 flights/month)
- LAS to MYR (about 210 flights/month)
- FLL to DTW (about 210 flights/month)
- DTW to OAK (about 210 flights/month)
When it comes to flying, you want to make sure you find a safe flight as well as a great deal. Spirit is the epitome of both requirements when you book with Expedia. You can get a stellar deal with Spirit Airline and be comforted by the fact they are one of the safest airlines in the country.
Spirit Airlines Flight Booking Tips
Only Bring a Personal Item
Spirit allows you to have a free personal item. A personal item is essentially a small-scale carry-on. Picture laptop bags and purses.
In other words, you can bring one FREE laptop bag or purse!
Unfortunately, actual carry-on costs extra – $100. But don’t panic, the dimensions for a personal item are “18 by 14 by 8” (current as of January 2020 but check their website for updates), which, when you think about it, is a Goliath-sized purse or laptop bag.
Right before boarding, I typically put my purse into my laptop bag so that it counts as “one item”.
Don’t Reserve Seats Until The Last Minute
Seriously, it’s okay to procrastinate (in this case). If you reserve your seats far, far, in advance then you have to pay a penalty (starting at $5.00). If you don’t, Spirit randomly picks seats for you. Most of the time, you can change your seating 24 hours (best window) to thirty minutes before your flight for FREE.
You aren’t guaranteed to be sitting next to your spouse (although we’ve always been seated next to each other), but the extra money can go towards your actual vacation.
This is one of my ultimate Spirit Airlines hacks. In fact, it’s how I’ve almost always managed to snag the window or aisle seat!
If You Aren’t Hungry, Don’t Buy Their Food
It sounds tempting, I know. Airlines are tiring and sometimes, I just want a cold, refreshing beverage and food. But am I willing to pay $3 for a Cup of Noodles? $3 for Water? Seriously?
Yeah, no thank you.
Grab Your Boarding Pass from the Kiosk
When I first flew Spirit Airlines, the lady at the check-in counter was nice enough to tell me to use the kiosk. Getting my boarding pass from her would have cost more money than my wallet could afford.
Using the kiosk for self-check-in is FREE.
Use The Spirit App
Nowadays, I use the FREE Spirit app. I always have a printed copy of my boarding pass as well, but the app allows me to check-in online ahead of time.
Sign Up for Their Newsletter
Signing up for the Spirit email newsletter and sifting through the promos is how I snagged:
Lifetime guarantee of no online service fee charges
$10-$20 off flights
Deals for every random holiday ever (I mean, they’re having a 30% off flight deal for National Trivia Day at the time of me writing this post)
Take A Red-Eye Flight
I always take a red-eye flight with Spirit (when leaving and returning). The fares are low. Much lower than at reasonable hours of the day. I’m usually groggy, tired, and resemble Medusa whilst boarding.
But to me, the difference in fares is worth it!
Earn Free Spirit Points with Travel Bonuses
Don’t forget to earn points when flying Spirit Airlines. No matter how short the flight, every little bit helps.
Earn Points When Flying
Free Spirit member
- Status Qualifying Points (SQPs) Requirement: NA
- Points per Dollar Earned for Fares: 6x
- Points per Dollar Earned for À La Smarte Options:12x
Free Spirit Silver
- Status Qualifying Points (SQPs) Requirement: 2,000 SQPs
- Points per Dollar Earned for Fares: 8x
- Points per Dollar Earned for À La Smarte Options: 16x
Free Spirit Gold
- Status Qualifying Points (SQPs) Requirement: 5,000 SQPs
- Points per Dollar Earned for Fares: 10x
- Points per Dollar Earned for À La Smarte Options: 20x
Spirit Airlines Car Rental Partners
- Avis: 35% discount and 500 points on rentals over 3 or more days
- Budget: 30% discount and 500 points on rentals over 3 or more days
- Dollar: 50 points on rentals of 4 days or less; 500 points on rentals over 5 or more days
- Hertz: 50 points on rentals of 4 days or less; 500 points on rentals over 5 or days
- Payless: 5% discount and 50 points per day
- Thrifty: 50 points on rentals of 4 days or less; 500 points on rentals over 5 or days
What is Spirit Airlines’ baggage policy?
Spirit Airlines features a Bring Less, Pay Less initiative, in which travelers can bring one personal item in flight without paying additional charges. Although passengers pay for additional carry-on items and checked baggage, this Spirit Airlines baggage policy significantly reduces CO2 emissions in the fuel saved from fewer bags.
Due to the Bring Less, Pay Less initiative, Spirit Airlines baggage fees are placed on both carry-on bags and checked luggage. However, travelers can save money if they pay for their luggage during online booking or before online check-in. If the luggage exceeds the airline’s size or weight limitations, passengers may be subject to additional charges.
Spirit Airlines Baggage Fees: How to Avoid Bag Fees 
In addition to your free personal item, you can bring a carry-on bag, so long as it doesn’t exceed 22 x 18 x 10 inches, including handles and wheels. The fee you pay for this bag will depend on when you pay it (paying for baggage during booking will save you the most), but you can expect to pay between $37 and $65, unless you’re a member of the $9 Fare Club. You can use the Spirit Bag-O-Tron to calculate the exact price for your flight.
4 Airfare Hacks to Know About Spirit Airlines Reservations
Start Spirit Airlines Booking Before 2 Months of Vacations:
You can start booking the tickets before 2 months of vacation and then see the difference in the last-minute booking and early booking of Spirit Airlines Reservations. I am dam sure that when you analyze and compare the airfare then you can easily understand how much amount of money you can save on the reservations.
Promo Codes on Spirit Airlines Booking Must be Applicable:
Never done the booking of Spirit Flights without the help of Promo Codes. Yes, this is the major step to start saving on the reservations of your journey and this crucial step must not be missed when you are thinking to apply an affordable flight booking strategy to start the cheap flight tickets booking. Promo Codes are mainly responsible for the cost-cutting process on the reservations.
Enjoy Free Spirit Airlines Booking Discount (FFP of Spirit Airlines):
The next and third most important airfare hack for Spirit Airlines Travel participates in the Free Spirit Program. On the Free Spirit, you can get enough discounts on the reservations and this is the Frequent Flyer Program of the airline. The program enables the best deals for the passengers.
Choose a Travel Agent for Spirit Airlines Booking:
When you are thinking that you are a beginner of travel and can’t save money with the tips as well then you can also choose the Travel Agent for the Booking.
Therefore, if you are also thinking to make sure of the Spirit Reservations then you can follow these 4 airfare hacks for the reservations and with these hacks, you can make the budget at a cheap cost for the Spirit Airlines Booking.
Is it easy to check in online with Spirit Airlines?
Save yourself the nuisance of lining up to check-in at the airport, and instead use the Spirit Airlines check-in online. You can check-in online as early as 24 hours before your flight departure time, but no later than one hour before. This tool lets you save yourself valuable time as you check-in and print your boarding pass ahead of time.
The Spirits Airlines flight status tool provides up-to-date details on the status of arriving and departing flights. Simply enter your departure and arrival locations and the flight date, or plug in your flight number for specific information pertaining to the requested flight. The flight tracker will then present any changes or updated information.
Spirit Airlines Trending flights: Domestic
- Spirit Airlines booking Chicago to Orlando
- Spirit Airlines Newark to Orlando
- Spirit Airlines Houston to Las Vegas
- Spirit Airlines Atlanta to Las Vegas
- Spirit Airlines New York to Orlando
- Spirit Airlines Dallas to Las Vegas
- Spirit Airlines Philadelphia to Orlando
- Spirit Airlines Chicago to Las Vegas
- Spirit Airlines Seattle to Las Vegas
- Spirit Airlines Newark to Las Vegas